Conversation with Mr. Majyd Aziz — Former president Employers Federation of Pakistan
- President UN Global Compact Network Pakistan
- Former president Employers Federation of Pakistan
- Former president Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Former president South Asian Forum of Employers
PAKISTAN & GULF ECONOMIST had an exclusive conversation with Mr. Majyd Aziz regarding the Consultative Conference. The excerpts of the conversation are as follows:
The Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI) has recently organized a Consultative Conference of all Chambers and Associations to present the National Economic Plan for Economic Development prepared by the Economic Advisory Board of FPCCI. On the occasion, Mr. Majyd Aziz gave some suggestions for the growth of the country’s economy, which includes:
01. FPCCI Economic Advisory Board proposals for National Economic Agenda did not address smuggling and good governance.
02. Revisit Afghan Pakistan Transit Trade Agreement.
03. Customs should inspect 50 to 60% of APTTA containers instead of 0%. Mega smuggling takes place by misusing this facility
04. Railway freight charges for APTTA cargo should be remitted in advance in Dollars or Euros and not purchased in the open market
05. Dry Ports have become states within the state. All over the world DP are there to facilitate exports but in Pakistan, even imported cargo is cleared thru DP. This is a major source of smuggling, misdeclaration, under-invoicing and corruption.
06. Corporate Sector and individuals who enhance their taxable profits over the previous year should receive tax rebates or tax credits. This would encourage them to declare higher profits
07. It is high time Federal and Provincial governments seriously reduce wasteful expenditures. Publicity-centric projects must end. A total ban on government hiring for three years. If personnel is required, the employees in Surplus Pool should be accommodated
08. Liquefaction of Thar Coal should become a priority. Coal to gas is acceptable but not Underground Coal Gasification
09. Citizens should not be allowed to perform Haj if they already have done it. This should be a policy for at least five years
10. Multiple performances of Umra to be discouraged for five years
11. Total ban on the purchase of new cars by Federal or Provincial governments for three years. Official vehicles in possession of retired or transferred government employees should be reclaimed and put in Surplus Pool
12. Federal government should develop the political will to privatize state-owned enterprises immediately
13. EOBI, SESSI, Workers Welfare Fund, Professional Tax, etc should not be applicable to entities that export at least 80% of their output. The responsibility should be paid by Federal and/or Provincial governments
14. All non-essential consultants in government should immediately be sent home
15. One-dish system at wedding dinners must be enforced. Wedding halls must by law be closed at 10 pm
16. FPCCI, Chambers and Associations must promote this policy among their members and also encourage Mendes to walk out from the event if violations are committed by hosts
I am not sure whether the governments or people in the corridors of power would want to adopt any of my suggestions. In my opinion, those in bureaucracy, political government, and judiciary, and others whose policies, decisions, and orders negatively impact the economy, progress and prosperity of Pakistan are the economic hitmen of Pakistan.