Interview with Professor Syed Fawad Rizvi — Chief Consultant Ophthalmologist & Head of LRBT
[box type=”shadow” align=”” class=”” width=””]Profile:
MBBS (Sindh Medical College) Pakistan 1988
MCPS (Ophthalmology) Pakistan 1991
FCPS (Ophthalmology) Pakistan 1997
- Life member, Ophthalmological Society of Pakistan, Karachi Branch. (No.84/1997)
- Presently member of Executive Committee & Chairman Scientific Committee 2018-19
- Member, Pakistan Vitreoretinal Society
- Presently member of Executive Committee of PVRS 2017-18
- Member of Retinoblastoma Interest Group, Karachi
- Member, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Registered member of Pakistan Medical & Dental Council
- and Pakistan Medical Association
- Chief Consultant Ophthalmologist & Head of LRBT, Free Base Eye Hospital, a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital working under the auspices of Layton Rahmatulla Benevolent Trust, the biggest eye care providing NGO of Pakistan.
- Professor and Head of Ophthalmology Department at Jinnah Medical and Dental College, Karachi, affiliated with Jinnah Sindh Medical University.
Professional and Social Services:
- Performed more than seven thousand Vitreoretinal procedures and have the distinction of performing Radial Optic Neurotomy reportedly first time in Pakistan in cases of Central Retinal Vein Occlusion (Paper Published).
- Around 20 published papers in Recognized Scientific Journals. (list attached)
- More than 30 presentations in National and International Conferences where Gold Medals were awarded on four occasions for best presentations. Active participant as Modulator, Chairman and Secretary of Numerous Scientific Sessions, Seminars and Conferences. (list attached)
- Pivotal in developing a signed MOU with Al-Ibrahim, Civil Hospital Karachi & Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Center for patient management Cooperation and exchange programme of residents.
- Signed a 5 years programme with the Department of Ophthalmology, University of UTAH (Dr. A. Shakoor – Programme Director) for 01 year fellowship in Medical Retina / Uveitis. One of my trainee will be starting his fellowship in November 2017.
- Developed linkages with L.V Parsad Eye Institute India, Hyderabad were one of my residents was sent for a short course in Optical Coherence Tomography.
Teaching & Training:
- Attached with Jinnah Medical & Dental College as Professor & Head of the Department of Ophthalmology (September 1998)
- Approved Supervisor of the College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan for
Fellowship and Membership in General Ophthalmology
Fellowship in Vitreoretinal Ophthalmology
Diploma Courses of Sindh Medical Faculty
MBBS examination of Jinnah Sindh Medical University
FCPS / MCPS examination of College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan
FCPS (Vitreo-retina) examination of College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan
Supervision & Skills Transfer:
- Supervisor FCPS (Ophthalmology) ID 2-2004-75
- Supervisor MCPS (Ophthalmology) ID 2-2004-75
- Supervisor FCPS (Vitreo-retina) ID 2-2008-173
- Supervise FRCS (Ophthalmology)
PAKISTAN & GULF ECONOMIST had an exclusive conversation with Professor Syed Fawad Rizvi. The excerpts of the conversation are as under:
LRBT, free base eye hospital, is a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital working under the auspices of Layton Rahmatulla Benevolent Trust. It is the biggest eye care providing NGO of Pakistan. I have been affiliated with LRBT for the last almost 23 years, initially as a Consultant and after some time took the administrative charge of the hospital. As a clinician, I feel that this is probably one of the finest institutes where you improve your clinical and surgical skills at one end and at the other end serving the deprived community gives you sense of satisfaction which cannot be expressed in words. Moreover administrative learning under the guidance of such experienced & dedicated management is invaluable.
On an average, I see around 50 – 60 patients on my Out Patient Day. Most of the patients come with complaints of defective vision and require spectacle correction. About 30% patients have a surgical problem and require any surgical procedure mainly cataract surgery followed by vitreo retinal surgery in relation to diabetes and related eye disorders.
LRBT is a charity and we treat all poor eye patients who are 99% of the volume visiting our 19 hospitals & 59 Primary eye care centres absolutely free of all charges. Our hospitals have the latest state of the art equipment which very few hospitals have. This equipment is used by doctors who have had a great deal of experience dealing with a wide variety eye diseases due to dealing with the sheer volume of patients who visit our hospitals (3 million per annum). Visiting our hospitals you will notice the high level of cleanliness & hygiene as well how patients are treated with compassion & dignity by the staff.
We are expanding our footprint by constructing a Rahim Yar Khan, our 20th which will open end of next year and fill a gap in the provision of free eye care in a depressed area. We will also be upgrading our facilities in Mandra hospital and expanding the capacity of Gambat hospital. We are also introducing a mental health programme for depressed patients with chronic eye diseases at Korangi.