Maritime transition means in practice?
Across shipping, sustainability is no longer only an environmental issue, but increasingly a question of competitiveness, resilience, and operational readiness. The real test is no longer whether the sector wants to decarbonize, but how quickly it can move from pilot projects to large-scale deployment.
One of the biggest bottlenecks presently lies in investment certainty, infrastructure readiness, and high costs of vessel retrofits. While ambitions are high, concrete decisions are often slowed by uncertainty around fuel pathways, regulation, and supporting infrastructure. Without more predictable conditions, large-scale investment remains harder to unlock.
Australia bans bulker
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) is demonstrating its continuing determination to safeguard the well-being of seafarers through its ongoing enforcement of international regulations. Using what has now become a familiar tool, AMSA has, for the third time in less than two months, banned a vessel from Australian waters for six months after having violations of the Maritime Labour Convention, including accusations of not paying seafarers and charging them for potable water.
In the latest case, the Liberia-flagged vessel FPMC B Forever (180,099 dwt), which is operated by Formosa Plastics Marine Corporation (FPMC), has been banned from entering Australian ports or waters until October 4. A detention order followed by the immediate ban came after AMSA boarded the bulk carrier on April 23 at the Port of Newcastle for a port state control inspection.
Indonesia tells Iranian tankers have legal right of passage in Lombok Strait
Indonesian officials said they are aware of the reports that Iranian crude oil tankers are transiting the Lombok Strait and cited the right of free passage. The statements came after reports by TankerTrackers.com that two Iranian-flagged crude oil tankers have slipped past the U.S. blockade and are routing through the passage east of Bali as an alternative to the more closely tracked Malacca Strait.
“We believe that these vessels are exercising their right of passage in accordance with international law,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ynonne Mewengkang is reported to have said, according to the Indonesian news service Bernama. The Foreign Ministry cited the 1982 UNCLOS treaty (United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea), which has been in force for the past 32 years. It reiterated the right of “Innocent Passage” as well as many of the other basic rules regarding the oceans.
U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) asserted that as of May 5, U.S. forces had directed 51 vessels to turn around or return to port as part of the blockade on Iranian ships and ports. The number of ships is increased by a few each day according to the CENTCOM statements.
Spanish intercept ship “totally stuffed” with record cocaine load
Details are starting to come out on what will likely be Spain’s largest ever drug seizure, possibly three to four times the prior record. Guardia Civil intercepted a general cargo ship last week, which reports said was “completely stuffed,” and when the final tally is done, the expectation is that the load was between 30 and 45 tonnes.
Guardia Civil has declined to release details at this stage, saying the investigation is ongoing and that it is working under a court order. Spain’s Interior Minister, Fernando Grande-Marlaska, however, told reporters in Madrid the seizure would be one of the largest not only nationally but internationally.
The ship named Arconian (4,347 dwt) was observed making its way north along the African coast. It departed Freetown, Sierra Leone, on April 22. The ship, which is 91 meters (299 feet) in length, is registered in Comoros and listed as owned by a company in Sierra Leone. It was reporting a destination of Benghazi, Libya, but according to the reports, the authorities believe that may have been false information.
Sweden prosecutors arrests Chinese master of detained shadow fleet tanker
Swedish prosecutors reported that they have arrested the captain of a product tanker that was detained yesterday, May 2, in Swedish waters. It marks the fifth vessel Sweden has detained since the beginning of March and the third that it has suspected of sailing under a false flag.
Prosecutors said on Monday, May 4, the captain of the product tanker Jin Hui has been arrested on suspicion of using a false document. Under Swedish law, it is a felony to present a false document to the authorities. They also suspect the tanker was in violation of the Maritime Code regarding a lack of seaworthiness.
Donald announces plan to “guide” ships out of Strait of Hormuz
On Sunday, President Donald Trump announced a new effort to help guide foreign-flag ships out of the Arabian Gulf, where hundreds of vessels are trapped by the ongoing Iranian blockade. The new American effort, “Project Freedom,” will provide a degree of assistance to other nations’ merchant ships; it does not reportedly include convoy escorts, but it will provide masters with information on safe routes and the locations of naval mines.
“We have told these countries that we will guide their ships safely out of these restricted waterways,” Trump wrote in a statement. “We will use best efforts to get their ships and crews safely out of the strait. . . . If, in any way, this humanitarian process is interfered with, that interference will, unfortunately, have to be dealt with forcefully.”
The operation is set to begin Monday morning. In an update to shipping, Central Command’s Joint Maritime Information Center said that the U.S. has set up an “enhanced security area” for vessel transits to the south of the Traffic Separation Scheme, within the Omani sector of the strait.
Iran swiftly rejected the plan. In a statement, Ebrahim Azizi, head of Iran’s parliament national security committee, confirmed that the strait remains closed. “Any American interference in the new maritime regime of the Strait of Hormuz will be considered a violation of the ceasefire,” said Azizi.

